RE: Definition of "content" and related terms

<<
Web resource: any resource identified by a URI.

Web content: any Web resource or collection of Web resources that
comprises, is presented by, or otherwise becomes manifest in a user
interface. Commonly occurring examples of content include hypertext
documents, style
sheets, multimedia
presentations, Web applications and interactive user interfaces.

Maybe this has been covered already, but what about content developed using
W3C technologies (HTML, CSS, etc.) but are not referenced using a URI?

For example, many client applications use such technologies in their
presentation.  For example, Microsoft Outlook uses HTML, CSS and the DOM for
several features, including the Outlook Today page, and the Find and
Organize features.  The source for these features are embedded in the binary
files that are part of the application.

Alternately, many things are referenced via URI's, XML schemas, and
Microsoft Word and PowerPoint documents.  SOAP-based web services are also
referenced via URI.

It seems to me that saying that anything referenced by a URI is covered by
this document would make it impossibly generic.

Again, apologies if this has been discussed already.

-Charles

At last week's meeting I undertook to formulate and propose the
following definitions:

Web resource: any resource identified by a URI.

Web content: any Web resource or collection of Web resources that
comprises, is presented by, or otherwise becomes manifest in a user
interface. Commonly occurring examples of content include hypertext
documents, style
sheets, multimedia
presentations, Web applications and interactive user interfaces.

See also "element content", "text content", "non-text content".

(I think we already have definitions of the terms mentioned in the
above cross-references).

As a slight modification to the first sentence of the definition we
could write:

Any Web resource or collection of Web resources that comprises, is
presented by, affects the behaviour of or otherwise becomes manifest
in a user interface.

Note the added reference to "behaviour", which may or may not serve to
clarify the definition. Other modifications are possible.