RE: Take 5 - Proposal for Definitions and conformance GROUPS

I think we are getting there, but we are not there yet.

It may just be the ambiguity in the wording - does "address compatibility of
the Web content with assistive technologies for all disabilities"  imply
each checkpoint addresses all disabilities?  If you consider server
cognitive and sight related disabilities, I am not sure what accessibility
pointers, if any, are appropriate for all.

 I think "mass marketed" technologies will be very hard to define-  a mass
marketed product, is a question of marketing budget, and does not imply
widely  available across operating systems, or affordable. Are we talking
about market share? - this seems sticky - and fast changing, and it means
throwing money around makes compatibility with your products a core
requirement.  I would steer clear of this and talk about things we can
define

"Reasonably applied to all types of web content or sites" this is also
problematic. Take the example:  using correct markup - none of the popular
web authoring tools make valid HTML/XHTML - so is this reasonable? All
tricky stuff.

I think we are taking about a core set of checkpoint, but we do not yet know
how to define them.

It seems we are saying we : (my proposal)

Group A (core): Criteria that "brakes" (current and developing?)  assistive
technology and/or blocks basic access to the page content and
functionality - with minimal changes to the presentation, functionality and
content of the page (almost all changes affect the view - but we are trying
to minimize this)

Group B (basically the same stuff just more of it), - enhance the ability to
access the content of the page - this may involve a minor change to the
view, presentation, and content of the page

Finally
Group C - Other. These may make major changes to the page view, and may not
be "reasonable" for many sites.

I would call Group C: "comprehensive accessibility"

Let us look at content (not presentation) for cognitive as that is the
tricky one and the one that needs resolving ( if it works for  this the rest
falls into place)

A: Core requirement - Relative units for text, removing unclear ambiguities
(that can not be reliable resolved by common general semantic rules) either
in the text, formal markup or annotating a header file, so that the page can
be translated to a symbolic language at the user end, and marking text as
important (using mark up like headers and emphasis, or annotations - however
when just an rendering of "important" text is  created, the page makes
sense) .

Group B, Additional requirements -  Clear titles. A basic review with soft
wording ("as appropriate for the intended audience") where almost everyone
can be doing this. All text should be expandable.

Group C, Comprehensive requirements - The full review -and  edit - with out
compromised wording (IE: miss out all the "were appropriate" stuff) ,
providing summaries, alterative picture for instructional text, short
sentences etc

All the best,
Lisa Seeman

UnBounded Access