Re: Backgrounds and Accessibility

On Wednesday, April 23, 2003, at 06:29 PM, Joe Clark wrote:
> I see that WAI is managing to top itself.
> [...]
> In this simple paragraph, we at last see a confirmation that Web
> Accessibility Initiative contributors hold good visual design in
> outright contempt. Background images are, after all, "of no real
> value," it has been decreed.
> [...]
> I also appreciate this confirmation that Web Accessibility
> Initiative contributors are now willing to micromanage, on pain of
> refusal of WAI accessibility certificate, the editing of every audio
> track on the Web.
> [...]
> It does clarify the delusionalism and extremism of certain Web
> Accessibility Initiative proposed practices, yes. It even clearly
> clarifies them. What it *adds a level of* not previously encountered
> is, I think, something else.

I'm confused why, just because you disagree with what one of the
people on the working group says, you have to make this all about
how screwed up the entire Web Accessibility Initiative is, instead
of just realizing that you, a member of the WAI working group,
disagree with the statement of another member of the WAI working
group.

It really seems counter-productive if you're waiting for any person
to speak up and say something you disagree with, just so that you
can leap up with righteous rage and condemn the entire process.

Surely it would be better to try to convince, rather than condemn,
and thus strive to promote that W3C elusive goal, "consensus"?

--Kynn

--
Kynn Bartlett <kynn@idyllmtn.com>                     http://kynn.com
Chief Technologist, Idyll Mountain                http://idyllmtn.com