RE: FW: 4.1

Lisa writes that "in talking about content we are talking about information
handed over-- its meaning."

This works only if we acknowledge that we're talking about "content" on at
least two levels of abstractoin simultaneously, and that doing so may cause
serious confusion.  I have operated under the assumption that when we talk
about *Web content* we are constrained to talk about what can be created by
some person or people some authoring tool and rendered by some user agent.
At this level of abstraction, which is where WCAG takes hold, pages intended
for different audiences operating at different levels of literacy etc., as
detailed by Jonathan and Al about what Al might call the same "nominal
topic" would have different *Web* content even though they shared the
nominal topic.  Questions about the extent to which those pages with their
different *Web* content might be called "equivalent" must be referred to
understanding of the nominal topic and not to the Web content-- or not only
to the Web content.

John

John Slatin, Ph.D.
Director, Institute for Technology & Learning
University of Texas at Austin
FAC 248C, Mail code G9600
Austin, TX 78712
ph 512-495-4288, f 512-495-4524