Re: Browser and Technology Support [Was: Re: [w3c-wai-gl] <none>]

At 12:06 AM 9/27/01 +0100, Jim Ley wrote:
>I considered it such a "given", that it didn't need mentioning,  I still
>see no reason why it should be required.

It should be encouraged as often as it is built correctly, or when it makes
otherwise useless mess useful.

Whatever needs to be done to encourage people to do it correctly should be
employed ....

> > Last weekend I downloaded a piece of software that builds Javascript for
> > instructional applications such as matching exercises, crossword puzzle,
> > and several read and answer styles.
>
>Which is an example of some poor scripting techniques (Browser detection
>being the most obvious, have you looked what happens in Opera or Konquerer
>for example?)

Is that why it's Freeware? What can I do to make it usable? No, I don't
have Opera and never heard on Konquerer ... this will run on my sister's
computer, either the laptop in Mom's room, or the desktop at Terry's home,
depending on what works best and the weather in Wisconsin ...

As it is, the script makes stuff that is fairly useless to K-2 education,
though it could be with better control of font and size in both display and
input ...

> > I need to get the characters to 14 point before Mom can see
> > them, larger is better
>
>A stylesheet added to the two lines which say:
>OutString += '<html>';
>so that they say <
>OutString +='<html><link href="style.css" type="text/css"
>rel="StyleSheet">'
>
>then you just have the style.css which says something like
>body { font-size:14pt;}
>Of course not using fixed sized fonts but setting up your Mum's software
>so it uses large fonts would make more sense, a user stylesheet here would
>make most sense.

Can I do it without stylesheets. Terri will be using her work laptop to
take to the home if weather doesn't let her take Mom to her home. What
software would Terri need to use stylesheet with IE? This is a web
application that has absolutely no universal appeal .... I make it in
Virginia, for Terri to take to Mom in Wisconsin ... with four other sisters
watching how it works out ...

But, if I use this software with my students, I may want to do it with
style sheets, even if I have to set up stylesheets for K-2 on 20 computers
one by one ... so I'll save the code til I start doing real educational
stuff with it ....

                                         Anne

> >  From what I've seen following the examples in the discussion,
>Javascript
> > has a great capacity for making the web more "user friendly" ... but the
> > problem seems to be in some assistive hardware that isn't able to handle
> > it.
>
>Most of the problem is with the authoring, not least due to the way the
>developments have gone, most of the assistive technology problems can be
>overcome, (especially as they tend to be on IE, so as a last resort we can
>just modify IE itself to cope better with the script.)  Because though
>that there have been such huge changes between versions the same "page" or
>code doesn't work with all the browsers so users are either forced to
>decide to use inaccessible means to achieve user agent support or do only
>support a subset of browsers.
>
>Jim.

Anne Pemberton
apembert@erols.com