Re: K-State example

At 08:08 AM 2001-09-19 , Jim Ley wrote:
>et>
>Subject: Re: [script] K-State example
>Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 12:02:58 -0000
>
>"Al Gilman" <asgilman@iamdigex.net> Wrote:
>At 02:51 PM 2001-09-18 , Jim Ley wrote:
>>> An example that may be worth considering is:

<<http://www.ksu.edu/>http://www.ksu.edu/><http://www.ksu.edu/>http://www.ks
u.edu/

>>What I liked about this example is the fact
>>that the information that is presented in the flyout
>>submenus that depend on running the scripts is still
>>available in the destination pages if you turn scripting
>>off and just follow hyperlinks.
>>
>>That is the characteristic of this page that I found meritorious.
>>If there is a better way to script it, do let's find an example of
>>it done the better way.
>
>I certainly don't know of any that are both good examples of scripting
>and accessible, if however what an accessible menu might look like could
>be communicated to me, I'd gladly script one up to act as an example -
>The main problems are how the fallback works in situations where
>CSS/script is not available on the page with the menu.  Not the where
>just script is missing.

Well, the following fuzzy idea may take XML as opposed to HTML to do directly,
perhaps.

But the general approach that I have been keen to see someone play with is
roughly as follows:

- the menu contents is all in the XML source and the script permutes the
visibility and or placement -

The general idea is that the stuff should be there so that you can get to it
pursuant to UAAG 2.3 and not only under 1.2.

That may be idealized a bit, but where the contents of the menu has an HTML
equivalent, it doesn't seem that much to ask.

SVG might provide a better data model for the bacdrop (content matrix) in this
exercise than HTML.

Please note that it is not really a requirement that the theme+variations
dynamic structure of the page with flyout submenus be re-created for voice-out
access.  Fewer stops in the 'expansion' sequence are OK, populated with static
hypertext.  This is not a bad design.  Compare with the DAISY talking book.

For browsing in speech, folding and unfolding individual branches of a tree is
not that good an idea; probably better to have a table of contents with one
global depth parameter and then browse the top n tiers of the contents tree.
Talking book just has one table of navigation with whatever depth is in the
book ToC and the fully expanded contents modulo notes sidebars and a few
oddball conditional content classes like that.  But those things are always
navigable and their level of inclusion in the reading stream is modable.

Al