Re: UA/GL duplication of effort? Re: Review of Script Techniques for Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.0 (part 2.)

Jonathan Chetwynd wrote:

> Should authors use scripts to capture events and create device independent
> code, or will this interfere and duplicate UA guidelines? Is there a problem
> here?

I don't believe there's a conflict here, but I will have to think
about it more.

In the "default" mode, focus and mouse events are conventionally
independent, so the author's redundancy shouldn't pose a problem.

In the enhanced mode required by the UAAG 1.0 -- keyboard
access even to mouse handlers -- nothing suggests that an
implementation would necessarily trigger a handler twice
unless on explicit user request.

 - Ian

> replies will be used in the following document:
> Script Techniques for Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.0
> http://www.learningdifficulty.org/develop/w3c-scripts.html#onfocus
> this is currently a non-wcag draft
>
> Jim lye wrote to GL:
> ....I'm concerned with the confusion and incompatibility this could bring,
> in
> the WAI User Agent guidelines, the onmouseover etc. events must be made
> available to keyboard users, therefore, if you duplicate focus and
> mouseover - you have the situation where users will see two actions,
> which could confuse, or equally cause scripting problems.
>
> Please excuse cross posting I've not had a response yet from GL.
> and thanks.
>
> jonathan chetwynd
> IT teacher (LDD)
> j.chetwynd@btinternet.com
> http://www.peepo.com         "The first and still the best picture directory
> on the web"

Tel:                     +1 718 260-9447