RE: Walking A Mile In Someone Else's Shoes

Thanks, Charles, I'll take it as an "action item" if appropriate, to create
some materials to simulate at least some of the cognitive and learning
disability obstacles.

Tomorrow we return to work for the new school year, so my luxury of time is
at an end. But a few heads are better than one, and the teachers may share
some ideas when I do the presentation of my web pages to all the elementary
teachers in the county next Wednesday. I plan to insert the idea of
accessibility on the web and what role teachers who will be making their
own web pages will play.  (I love to see the surprise on faces when I talk
about blind folks who use computers better than I do ...)

I'll let you know as I develop stuff that may be useful and you can help me
share it Authoring Tools group .... <grin>

                                         Anne

At 09:31 AM 8/21/01 -0400, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
>The Authoring Tool Accessibility Guidelines Group is interested in tool-based
>ways of simulating how someone would perceive content, as a way of presenting
>it to an author for a choice about which seemed more appropraite as a way of
>conveying the message.
>
>So any techniques that you have in mind wich would meet the criteria (I don't
>think many authoring tool manufacturers are likely to add a suggestion taht
>their users get totally inebriated and try to make sense of what they are
>doing, but there are other approaches <grin/>) of being implementatble in
>tools would be intersting. If yu have suggestions for how to implement
>repairs that mean two choices can be more easily auto-generated, this would
>also be helpful.
>
>Cheers
>
>Charles
>
>On Tue, 21 Aug 2001, Anne Pemberton wrote:
>
>   Chas, Kynn and others who are interested in simulations exposing
> obstacles....
>
>            There is a classic paper used in training teachers of the learning
>   disabled, that helps you understand how some experience text. In this
>   exercise, you are presented with the paper (or in this case a web page) on
>   which the spacing of the words has been altered.
>
>            For example using the last sentence:
>   Inth ise xercis e,y ou ar epres ente dwit hth epap er(o rint hiscase awe
>   bpag e) onw hic hthes pacin gof thew ordsh asbe enalt ered.
>
>            The group leader asks you to read it aloud, then urges you to stop
>   reading it choppily ...
>
>            I think something similar could be made to simulate what some
>   cognitively disabled and some learning disabled folks would experience ...
>   by greeking out all words in a page that are not on the Dolch (or other
>   definitive word list) list, and asking the user to identify the topic of
>   the page perhaps with and without illustrations.
>
>                                                    Anne

Anne Pemberton
apembert@erols.com

http://www.erols.com/stevepem