RE: Multiple guidelines views (views)

We haven't ditched the database idea.  The idea was to get the content
correct and then make views of it.  I attempted this to some extent by
creating a few views of it using CSS and hiding/showing various pieces of
the document. [1] [2] [3]

We can use XSLT to make more personalized views on the fly.

Currently, the guidelines/checkpoints are in an XHTML source with lots of
classes and divs.  The draft that gets published is generated using
XSLT.  We can break it into chapters as Paul suggested, with the current
source and a tweak to the XSLT.  I'm not sure how I feel about the
modularization idea yet, although it is the growing trend w/in the W3C.
Regardless, I'd hope we would use XML/XSLT to generate it.

The techniques DTD/Schema is under development and Matt is moving the
HTML/XHTML techniques into it.  To link guidelines/checkpoints  with
techniques we'll need XSLT to pull from the various sources.

1.0 had a variety of databases, but no one saw them. It was all backend
stuff that got pulled together with Perl.  This time we're anticipating
moving it to the front end and replacing most of the Perl with XSLT.

It's just a matter of finding people to help write these things and make it
happen.  Please help.

We do need one normative view of the document, but I believe we can create
a "tool" to help people get at the info they need.

--wendy

[1] Only show guideline and checkpoint text (even hides the intro)
http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/WCAG20/WD-WCAG20-20010726-all-hidden.html

[2] Only show guideline, checkpoint, and criteria
http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/WCAG20/WD-WCAG20-20010726-criteria.html

[3] Only show guidelines, checkpoint, and benefits
http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/WCAG20/WD-WCAG20-20010726-benefits.html

--
wendy a chisholm
world wide web consortium