Re: Guideline 1 examples

Chas,

         I suggest you leave out the examples from real life, or limit them
to the third only. Examples from the web: the second is good ... the third
would be better if you used an example of a person who cannot use a mouse
instead of one who merely hasn't one of the cheapest parts ..... Persons
who use mouth sticks are of interest, but they don't use the keyboard....
who are the folks who don't use a mouse? they should be mentioned ...
         Incidentally, what do the guidelines do that enables sport scores
on a cell phone? Shouldn't the examples show things the guidelines allow on
the web? If your intended audience is government and commerce sites, what
do sports cores have to do with the guidelines?

         Example from the web: School children access pages that include
the keyword that is their subject, and although they cannot read the text,
they use the pictures on the site to illustrate their own class work.

         Can't think of more than one right now. Maybe more later.

                                         Anne

At 03:21 PM 8/18/01 -0700, Charles F. Munat wrote:
>We adjust objects in our environment to meet our needs and use tools to help
>us do things we cannot do on our own. Both in real life and on the Web, some
>people rely on these adjustments to work, to contribute to society, and to
>enjoy life. There are many familiar examples from everyday life. One person
>uses a stepladder to reach an object on a high shelf. Another uses a
>magnifying glass to read small print. A third uses captions to understand
>what a television news announcer is saying.
>
>Here are some examples from the World Wide Web:
>
>* A person away from home might use a cell phone to check sports scores.
>* A person who cannot see text might use a screen reader to read the text
>aloud.
>* A person without a mouse might use a keyboard to navigate a web page.
>

>These may not be the best examples, but I hope that I've captured the
>essence of what I'm trying to say.
>
>Chas. Munat
>

>NOTE: I'd better explain what I mean by "people who have some sort of
>expertise."
>
>Our primary audience should be the people responsible for big government and
>commercial web sites as these are the sites that most need to be accessible.
>The people who contribute to these sites will be programmers, management,
>and content providers.
>
>Yes, these guidelines will be read by many, including children. So they
>should be comprehensible by children (as much as possible). But the TONE
>should not be a tone that will offend adults. I find the tone of the
>questions at the start of Guideline 1 to be condescending. Give me examples.
>Don't ask me questions for which the answers are obvious. It insults my
>intelligence.

Anne Pemberton
apembert@erols.com

http://www.erols.com/stevepem