Re: 3.3 clear and simple Re: 9 August 2001 WCAG WG telecon minutes

** First,

While it is important to write in a way that is easy to read, it often
helps to
write in orthodox diction.  Colloquially known as correct grammar.

Where Checkpoint 3.3 says

  3.3 Write as simple as possible yet appropriate for the site's content.

If I recall correctly the grammar teacher would have instructed us to write

  3.3 Write as simply as possible yet appropriately for the content.

** Second,

One problem is that 3.3 and 3.5 are overlapping.  The central plain language
technique one should be using across all language is scrubbing your word use.
It is not up to the author's whim to determine if a word is obscure; use tools
to find this out.

If the Atomica service is cross-disability usable (there may be a problem with
mouse free access, here) then on possible trip level for extra documentation
could be in terms of what Atomica will say about a word.

Is Atomica a known problem or a usable option?  It uses the IE module for its
back end, but I don't know if the way it uses the module is accessible via
screen.  The point is that although I like the OED for author-side checking,
the Internet test of whether a word is undocumented should be to hit it with
Atomica and see if the meaning you mean comes back.  Words that either fail to
find an entry or come back with another meaning from this service are things
that should be glossarized.

On the other hand I would suggest that 'radar' while an acronym in origin is
now a vernacular common noun and doesn't need to be marked per the 'acronym'
rules.

I think that to eat our own dog food, we may have three shrort checkpoints,
here, not two long ones.

a) use well-known words [check 'em]

b) use simple constructions [yes, the constructions are language-specific]

c) document the exceptions [using markup and/or other forms of metadata]

Al

PS: OED:  Oxford English Dictionary