Re: 9 August 2001 WCAG WG telecon minutes

Jo,

         You were right to raise the issue on the telecon, but I don't
think the fix worked.  The sentence is an important checkpoint, and if it
has to be "read right", then it hasn't been written "clearly and simply"
yet....

         Is it necessary to say "as is possible" as well as "as is
appropriate" ? Can we omit "as is possible" and leave it "Write clearly and
simply as appropriate for the site."  .... I think someone mentioned "as
possible" leaves a checkpoint open to abuse.

                                                         Anne

At 07:44 AM 8/10/01 -0400, Jo Miller wrote:
>I respectfully disagree, Anne. The first of your suggested versions seems
>unnecessarily wordy and cumbersome while the second reflects the original
>language that we were trying to clarify (the language that led some of us
>to think that "appropriate" was mistakenly being used instead of
>"appropriately").
>
>But I hung up my writing-instructor hat years ago and don't wish to get
>back into diagramming sentences if I can help it. :) I suggest we simply
>see whether other group members and commenters on the draft have a problem
>understanding the sentence as it is currently worded.
>
>Jo
>
>At 7:05 -0400 8/10/01, Anne Pemberton wrote:
>>>   >3.3
>>>   >JM Checkpoint 3.3 Write as clearly and simply as is possible and
>>>   >appropriate for the site's content.
>>>   >Action WC: change 3.3 to read: Write as clearly and simply as is
>>> possible
>>>   >and appropriate for the site's content.
>>
>>Charles, I just don't like that sentence. I try to diagram it in my head
>>and it doesn't work .... maybe:
>>
>>"Write as clearly and simply as is possible and as is appropriate for the
>>site's content."
>>
>>or
>>
>>"Write as clearly and simply as possible and appropriate for the site's
>>content."
>>
>>                                                 Anne
>--
>Jo Miller