Re: guideline 7.1 about screen flickering (fwd)

I agree we learn to see but many things also develop normally in a certain
way e.g. in our visual cortex there are cells specialized in detecting
movement and it is hard keep the eye saccades out of the movement if it is
strong enough. That is why advertisers want to use movement in the banners
as it easily get's the user's attention.

I tried to find a good reference from the Web, but it was difficult without
going too deep and I don't have more time now. The more understandable
references are similar to this one:

In the visual periphery we can instantly detect even slight movement.
This is an important safety feature, developed long ago to recognize
stalking predators. The eye's periphery reports a movement, the brain
thinks it's important, and the vision is automatically centered on the
threat. It is so imprinted on us that we can't do anything about it, and
shouldn't.

Also Jacob Nielsen refers to it.
http://www.useit.com/alertbox/9512.html

Marja