Re: Including content modes in 4.1

At 1:49 PM -0400 2001/7/31, Joe Clark wrote:
>By the way, it is unwise to continue to refer to human languages as
>"natural" languages, no matter how well-understood that term is
>among the cognoscenti. Why not call them human languages?

Well, if you want to get picky, HTML and XML and SMIL and C++ and
Perl and Visual Basic and Applesoft BASIC are all human languages
too.

As long as "natural language" is defined somewhere in a glossary, I
think that our use of the term makes sense, as that is the technical
term used by people in the field (e.g. NPL professionals), and the
other folks who aren't familiar with this term really should learn it.
Otherwise our document won't be taken seriously by the people working
with natural/human languages.

Wait.

Does this argument seem eerily familiar to anyone else?

--Kynn

--
Kynn Bartlett <kynn@reef.com>
Technical Developer Liaison