Re: Proposal deriving from checkpoint 2.1

At 02:24 PM 7/30/2001 , Anne Pemberton wrote:
>So, a one page site may have internal navigation mechanism. But no other navigation mechanisms are required .... Right? Wrong?
>But not all one page sites need internal navigation, so what then is the "edge case" .... what is the least that must be done  in the most minimum circumstances....

You must be able to navigate reliably through the "content space"
(however that is structured) regardless of your method of access,
for starters.  That's "the least that must be done."

>>      "Checkpoint X.X:  Use a reasonable architecture for your information."
>But I'm a web designer (well, I play at it! <grin>) and I'm asking what navigational mechanism are needed when  I have one small page .... when my page grows .... when my site grows ... etc. I don't know what my architecture is or what a reasonable architecture is ...

This is why "web designers" need to realize that they are information
architects and interface designers.  Many "web designers" are in
denial about this, but it's true.  If you create a web page, you are
a de facto information architect and interface designer; by doing it
without thinking about it, you create something which is likely to
suck. ;)

I used to teach a class in "web site management" through HWG online
education.  It was basically a course about IA and UI design, but
if I'd called it -that-, nobody would have taken it. ;)  Why?
Because web designers don't think they have understand IA and UI
design.

>Kynn, thanks for your excellent reply. I will write you offlist with some specific questions I have on the mess of my personal sites conglomerate ...
>                                                 Anne

Feel free.

--Kynn

--