Re: Checkpoint 3.4 again

At 6:07 PM -0400 2001/7/28, Marti McCuller wrote:
>It seems to me that we are asking the web to do more in this case for the
>"learning-disabled" (or dyslexic etc) than in other cases.  Text equivalents
>must still be translated to a usable form on the user/client end (audio,
>Braille, etc.) In the case of Visually Impaired users we expect them to have
>appropriate applications to do their part.  An alternate to "text' in the
>form of sound is not needed because the software is available to make the
>translation. Can't we reasonably expect the learning-disabled to provide
>some of their own "translation"?

Yes, but as with alternative text for images, we need to provide semantic
meaning related to the intent of the author, especially if we are not
going to pick our own pictures to illustrate textual content.  Thus
the suggestion (in my other email on this thread) to provide keywords
which correspond to picture index keywords.

--Kynn

--
Kynn Bartlett <kynn@reef.com>
Technical Developer Liaison