Re: Checkpoint 3.4 again

At 11:53 AM -0400 2001/7/28, Joe Clark wrote:
>Checkpoint 3.4, as currently written, says:
>>Illustrations must be designed to portray important concepts or
>>relationships employed in the content.

This is a great example of a "non-checkable checkpoint" as per the
point I raised on the conference call this week.

Basically, the intent of this checkpoint is to say "whenever it is
reasonable to offer an illustration, for god's sake do so!"  But you
can never "check" this checkpoint, even if you have one illustration
(or if you have 100) because there is no valid "sufficiency test" --
the success criteria is _highly_ dependent upon the context and the
content being used.

It's a "do enough of <x>" checkpoint, just like "provide a variety of
navigation mechanisms", and those types of checkpoints can't be
checked.

I am thinking through a proposal about how to handle these types of
things within a checkpoint structure; I'll try to get that out soon.

--Kynn

--
Kynn Bartlett <kynn@reef.com>
Technical Developer Liaison