Re: [CSS-TECHS]

At 11:49 -0400 7/18/01, Wendy A Chisholm wrote:

>Is there specific text you would like to suggest for the "Why?" section?

Let me sleep on this (literally -- got no sleep last night and my
brain is as sluggish and useless as a reptile in December).

Before I suggest any wording, though, I should make sure I'm on the
same page as the rest of the group. I'm interested in knowing the set
of specific needs that the CSS Techniques document aims to address
(and also what it does not aim to address, i.e., things that are more
appropriately covered elsewhere).

>Would you like to create new styles for the examples?

I don't think there's a need for a new style, unless you want one. If
we just leave off the <PRE> and add breaks between the lines then the
html/css examples will wrap to fit inside the 75% boxes at any screen
resolution. So for instance:

&lt;STYLE type="text/css"&gt; <br>
    P.important { font-weight: bold } <br>
    P.less-important { font-weight: lighter; font-size: smaller } <br>
    H2.subsection { font-family: Helvetica, sans-serif } <br>
&lt;/STYLE&gt;

(There may of course be some reason for not doing it this way that
I'm not aware of because I'm new.)

>Would you like to begin working on the reasoning for each item?

Sure, at least for items for which I know the reasoning. In some
cases I don't. (I'm definitely not the world's greatest CSS expert.)

>I agree that a positive approach is a good one, as long as it is
>also realistic (i.e. tempered with reality, e.g. absolute
>positioning can be really cool but it's not consistently supported).
>I have found this a helpful way to start with people as well when I
>give presentations/workshops.

I agree completely. Frankness about the current state of UA support
for CSS techniques is essential. And practical, real-world advice is
always appreciated by web authors who are struggling to make the
transition to style sheets.
--
Jo Miller
jo@bendingline.com