Re: General Rule - Do not forbid - only guide except for safety

At 06:38 PM 3/24/2001 , Gregg Vanderheiden wrote:
>  I am not sure this will hold but
>As a general rule....
>I think we should try to design guidelines that do not forbid anything - but
>rather tell people how to do things so that they will be accessible.

I agree with this approach.  Consistent with this approach, I feel,
is a methodology of "guiding" which says "well, you -can- do it, but
to do it right you have to do (x), (y), and (z), and that will still
mean you're losing out on (a), (b), and (c), but if you REALLY REALLY
WANT TO, hey, it's your choice."

This isn't forbidding anything -- but it's making it clear that there
are definite problems with certain approaches, and if someone chooses
to follow that path, they at least will be aware of the consequences
of their actions.

--Kynn

Kynn Bartlett <kynn@reef.com>
Technical Developer Liaison