RE: imagemaps

Dear Charles,
Thanks for thinking of this common counter example.
Services like MapBlast and the like can be quite accessible.  The text
directions are, for example, quite good.
But what about the maps themselves -- where EVERY pixel is different hot
spot?
Can such a service achieve Single-A compliance or better?  (Without
resorting to SVG as Charles suggests.)  Where does WCAG 1.0 make allowances
for such things?  Is there not a way to eliminate all the extra verbiage
about server side images maps, but still allow these kind of tools?
Section 508, to my mind, gets around this problem with the allowances for
equivalent facilitation.  Also, in the software portion, it discusses how
keyboard access is only needed for textually oriented functions.  This
means, for example, that paint programs are not prohibited by 508 -- even
though such applications are not useful to a blind person.  Is there a
similar escape clause in the WCAG?
-- Bruce