Re: Action Item: 3.3 Proposal (Writing Style)

Kynn,

	I've exerpted from your note to Al:

At 07:35 AM 3/14/01 -0800, Kynn Bartlett wrote:
>At risk of beating a drum, I really need to emphasize that the above
>description -- which has been used by a number of people to illustrate
>the problem -- is incomplete because it is really only along one
>axis.  There are -numerous- reasons to try to communicate, and applying
>a fog index (e.g.) to -every- form of written or verbal communication
>is improper.  E.g., editorials, advertisements, parodies, humor,
>fiction, and a vast number of other content types are even -harder-
>to apply such a standard to.

First of all, Kynn, a reading level index is NOT a fog index. It will not
point out stupid word choices, or unsupported claims. Reading levels are
used in all areas of education, and routinely include parodies, humor, and
fiction. Even advertisements (if they have enough words in them to
measure), have been tailored for young readers as well as their parents and
grandparents... Even the ubitquitous Weekly Reader mags include editorials
and think pieces aimed at children just learning to read. The Reader's
Digest, which is aimed at the average reading levels, has pages of jokes
that can be read without having a sheepskin on the wall!

Yes, there is a mindset in all this, a mindset that, for me at least
boggles at the resistance to setting a checkpoint that ensures that general
content will be readable by a general audience. Not all disabilities are
aided by the slick "devices" that make the web possible by varying the
presentations possibilities. Sometimes it is the mundane, everyday stuff,
such as reading level and illustrations that carry the day. Never
underestimate the value of getting some mud under your nails ...

	 .... From warm and sunny Virginia where the bulbs are blooming,  the temp
is in the sixties and seventies, and the itch to get into the garden is
rampant....

					Anne

						Anne

Anne Pemberton