Re: distraction: bane or content?

My two cents in this...

I don't think it's possible to provide pure semantics.  For example, here
are some different presentations of the same underlying semantic content:

1. [in English] The pencil is on the table.
2. [in German] Der Bleistift ist auf der Tabelle.

or

3 [imagine a picture of a pencil on a table]
4.[imagine an interactive game where you look for a pencil by shooting
flares into a room, and you see a glimse of the pencil when you get close]
5. [imagine a movie where you see somebody put a pencil on a table and walk
away.  You know, or at least assume, that the pencil is still on the table
even after the table is out of view]

The semantic content is something more abstract that we can't write
down.  All we can write down are different representations.

I think the wording of the current WCAG 2.0 guidelines avoids this problem,
e.g.
"Design content that allows presentation according to the user's needs and
preferences "

That way of phrasing it focuses on presentation and allows us to address
user needs without getting into the philisophical complications of
providing pure semantics.

Len

--
Leonard R. Kasday, Ph.D.
Institute on Disabilities/UAP and Dept. of Electrical Engineering at Temple

Chair, W3C Web Accessibility Initiative Evaluation and Repair Tools Group
http://www.w3.org/WAI/ER/IG/

The WAVE web page accessibility evaluation assistant:
http://www.temple.edu/inst_disabilities/piat/wave/