Re: javascript and URLs

----- Original Message -----
From: "Charles McCathieNevile" <charles@w3.org>

> I agree that this is an until user agents issue. Albeit an important one.
> suspect that for people who have difficulties with concentration,
short-term
> memory anbd the like this is a ore serious issue than it is for people who
> are blind or using substantial screen magnification (two other groups of
> people who will not necessarily realise immediately that a new window has
> been created).
>
> I believe that Opera and iCab offer the opportunity not to have new
windows
> created, although I ahven't checked. As far as I know IE and Netscape
haven't
> got this far yet.

I have to say that I doubt Microsoft and AOL will ever get that far. This is
a case where not only does the content-provider community have a reason to
disobey, the user-agent makers do as well. Specifically, AOL Time Warner
owns a bunch of sites which derive revenue from pop-ups, including Netscape
NetCenter itself. Also, pop-up windows may or may not provide information
relevant to the task the user is trying to do, and shutting it down on the
UA side could break sites at the user's end by preventing necessary user
interaction. I think the issue is one WCAG either owns, or shares with UAAG.

-