RE: What does "for example" mean

At 09:21 AM 3/6/01 -0500, Bailey, Bruce wrote:
>Documents like the WCAG _are_ going to be taken literally, and if this is
>not the intent, then the authors should write more carefully

Apparently "literally" and "carefully" are, as Al tried to point out, a bit
more complex than they seem.

What stuff "means" is often in the mind of the reader a quite different
matter than it was for the author. Does "all men are created equal"
deliberately exclude women? Are people with otherly-colored skin "men"?, etc.

No matter how careful we are there will be different readings of our
product, but if we can avoid being too testy with one another we will find
a way to make future clarifications more likely.

Whatever "erratum" we issue re WCAG 1.0's treatment of SUMMARY won't matter
much if we make clear that summarizing is encouraged (in the checkpoints)
and how to do it includes (in the techniques) some hierarchy among TITLE,
CAPTION, NAME, SUMMARY, ALT, LONGDESC - in other words "get appropriate",
whatever that means in a particular instance.
--
Love.
                 ACCESSIBILITY IS RIGHT - NOT PRIVILEGE