From: Wendy A Chisholm [mailto:wendy@w3.org]
Sent: Tuesday, February 13, 2001 5:17 PM
To: Annuska Perkins; 'w3c-wai-gl@w3.org'
Subject: Re: schedule for WCAG 2.0?

Annuska,

When you refer to "final version complete" - are you asking when WCAG 2.0
will be published as a W3C Recommendation?  We do not have a timetable for
going to Recommendation but my own personal opinion is that the earliest
this would happen would be by the end of the year.  Please refer to the W3C
process that we  must follow in order to publish a recommendation:
http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Process-20010208/tr.html#Recs

As far as publishing the guidelines for external review, a public working
draft of WCAG 2.0 was published 25 January 2001 at
http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20/  The deadline for comments on this draft is 22
February 2001.

Per W3C policy, it is recommended that we publish work for public review
every 3 months.

When WCAG 1.0 was published, we published the Techniques at the same
time.  I anticipate the same process this time when we go to
Recommendation, that all supporting materials will be published at the same
time.  Until then, we should have a variety of work drafts of all of the
documents and not necessarily published at the same time.  We will have
several subgroups focusing on different technologies and I expect drafts
from each subgroup at different times.  However, fresh versions of all
documents will be generated for public releases.

Have I answered your questions?  It would help me to know why you are
wondering about timelines. I am concerned that some people might see us
working on WCAG 2.0 and discount WCAG 1.0, when 2.0 is merely making 1.0
better and should not raise any major inconsistencies. in other words,
people should go ahead and use WCAG 1.0 since 2.0 won't be out for a while.
--wendy

--
wendy a chisholm
world wide web consortium