  From: Dick Brown
  Sent: Thu 1/25/2001 2:49 PM
  To: 'w3c-wai-gl@w3.org'
  Subject: Colorblindness references

  I took an action item to send some pointers to resources on colorblindness.

  Some of the resources below do in fact indicate what kind of combinations
  can often cause problems, and I think it would be appropriate for us to
  include those in techniques. I do not think we should *recommend* color
  schemes, especially in a checkpoint.

  Dick Brown, Microsoft

   <http://msdn.microsoft.com/voices/hess10092000.asp> Can Color-Blind Users
  See Your Site?   <http://msdn.microsoft.com/voices/hess10092000.asp>
  http://msdn.microsoft.com/voices/hess10092000.asp
  Columnist Robert Hess continues his series on color use. This time, he
  examines how color choices can affect site accessibility. (October 9, 2000)

  A site to simulate rendering for people with color vision problems:

   <http://www.vischeck.com/vischeckURL.php3>
  http://www.vischeck.com/vischeckURL.php3

   <http://www.lighthouse.org/color_contrast.htm>
  http://www.lighthouse.org/color_contrast.htm.

  >From the Microsoft Windows Guidelines for Accessible Software Design at

   <http://www.microsoft.com/enable/dev/guidelines/software.htm>
  http://www.microsoft.com/enable/dev/guidelines/software.htm:

  Avoid Problematic Color Combinations

  color vision anomalies.

  There are a number of things that can be done to allow even individuals with
  color vision anomalies to be able to take advantage of the color-coded
  information:

  -- Avoid using common pairs of colors that are indistinguishable by people
  with color perception anomalies. For example, avoid mixing green and blue,
  or red and green, red and brown, or white and light green.

  -- Use colors that differ significantly in hues and intensity

  -- Avoid muted colors with low luminance values (intensity).

   <mailto:1854874@skytel.com>