RE: Don't require <Q>

Dear Kynn,
I won't pretend to be typical, but if memory serves, two years ago I had
just joined the WAI IG list.  True, I had been involved with disability
issues before that, and I was self-motivated to do the right thing.  Even
so, Double-A was clearly too limiting, given the state of the art of
browsers.  I assumed that this was by design and not mostly accidental!  At
the time, and until relatively recently, I liked the priority scheme, and
the discrete compliance levels.  I do wonder if you are right about P2 items
getting into the Section 508 rules (don't call them guidelines, they are
much stronger than that).  The advisory committee to the Access Board
recommend Double A compliance as the standard.  This recommendation was
rejected.  Who knows why (not me certainly), but it's fair to guess that
Double A was obviously too tough, and the advisory committee refused to put
the P2 items into any kind of hierarchy, so the Access Board just dropped
down to the next "level".  As Len has pointed out, a few of P2 items (e.g.,
3.1 and 5.3) are more important than the rest.  It would be a shame if these
were not carefully considered.