Re: Fwd: Indicating Compliance

Two major items in the 508 standards [1]  that aren't in WCAG 1.0, but that
we will probably want to address in WCAG 2.0, are items L and M, which
allow web pages to require scripting, applets, and other programming,
provided that:

quote
(l) When pages utilize scripting languages to display content, or to create
interface elements, the information provided by the script shall be
identified with functional text that can be read by assistive technology.

(m) When a web page requires that an applet, plug-in or other application
be present on the client system to interpret page content, the page must
provide a link to a plug-in or applet that [are accessible per other 508
requirements].
end quote

In contrast WCAG 1.0 requires that the pages be usable when scripting,
applets, etc. are not supported.

It also requires
(n) ability to complete on-line forms (although I don't understand why this
was made separate)

(o"A method shall be provided that permits users to skip repetitive
navigation links."

(p)"When a timed response is required, the user shall be alerted and given
sufficient time to indicate more time is required."

The 508 standards do not require that pages utilizing tables for layout
make sense when linearized, an omission I think is quite unfortunate (I
also think it's unfortunate it's only a priority 2 in WCAG 1.0 since pages
can become unusable if reading order is bad [2]; and that low priority in
WCAG 1.0 may have contributed to it's omission from the 508 regs.)

Len

[1] http://www.access-board.gov/sec508/508standards.htm
[2] http://astro.temple.edu/~kasday/wai/backwards.html

--
Leonard R. Kasday, Ph.D.
Institute on Disabilities/UAP and Dept. of Electrical Engineering at Temple

Chair, W3C Web Accessibility Initiative Evaluation and Repair Tools Group
http://www.w3.org/WAI/ER/IG/

The WAVE web page accessibility evaluation assistant:
http://www.temple.edu/inst_disabilities/piat/wave/