RE: SVG Plugin from Adobe (sizing, flowing, and mixed media)

width and height are not required attributes for either the img or the object
element. So it should be possible to leave them out altogether, and let an
SVG image speify its size in terms of ems, and then take up that many ems.

I am not sure what implementations do, and don't have a handy reference for a
specification of embed but I will chase this up.

Cheers

Charles McCN

On Thu, 4 Jan 2001, Bailey, Bruce wrote:

  Kynn wrote:
  > Now here's a dumb question for you -- can you set the size of a
  > image, plugin, or applet in _ems_?  And if you do, and you change
  > your font size, will those "viewports" resize themselves magically?
  >
  > I admit I haven't ever tested this, nor even thought about it,
  > really.  Maybe it's a dumb idea, or maybe it's a cool idea.  I
  > don't know.  If it works, it might be a technique for SVG and
  > other scalable graphics formats.

  I though this was a cool idea -- so much so that I experimented with it some
  a couple weeks ago!
  I though this would be a "poor mans solution" for scaling bit maps as well
  as SVG. Unfortunately, it doesn't work!  Various recent flavors of IE and
  Navigator get very confused.  The code doesn't validated either.  I then
  looked up the 4.01 HTML specs, and the two choices for sizing things where
  this technique would be valuable (tables, images, objects) are percentages
  and pixels.  That's it.  Using percentages does allow images (SVG or GIF or
  JPEG or PNG) to scale, but this only works one changes window size.  (So, in
  effect, this technique allows one to shrink images, but not to grow them!)
  This experiment was with width="xx%".  Trying various options for
  height="xx%" only seemed to confuse the browsers.

  Now, can anyone tell me if XHTML is so limited?

  -- Bruce

until 6 January 2001 at:
W3C INRIA, 2004 Route des Lucioles, BP 93, 06902 Sophia Antipolis Cedex, France