Re: 3.7 in 1?

At 09:12 AM 2001-01-02 -0800, William Loughborough wrote:
>Is there any sentiment for including the matters in 3.7 "Supplement text

I would admit to some sentiment in that direction.
In fact, the use of 'supplement' here, where 'complement' is by contrast
clearly the big-tent term, raises a red flag after all we have been through.

We need a semioticist to give us the language in which to say this.  It is not
just diversity in sensory channel, there is also diversity among different
kinds of communicative gesture: designation vs. evocation, and either words or
pictures can fall in either of those categories.  I'll see what I can find.

Somehow we have to communicate both a first-among-equals status for text
without going to Lombardiesque excess.  Yes, today, text is the most important
thing; but definitely not the only thing.  Because yes, there are people for
whom it is the _last_ thing they need.

Al