Re: List of Technologies

Kynn,

	As I read the comments on this list today, I intended to make your point,
but you beat me to it!

	Yes, the techniques need to explain how to use ordinary HTML, either hand
coded or generated in a popular program like Front Page. Sean suggests only
use HTML 4.01, but folks who learned to hand code years ago and are still
using the same, may be more comfortable if older more standard HTML was used.

					Anne

At 08:59 AM 1/2/01 -0800, Kynn Bartlett wrote:
>One more thing to add, which Sean probably won't like:
>
>- HTML
>
>I think we -have- to have a module for HTML if we want to be relevant
>for the next couple of years.  To many people, learning a new
>technology (XHTML for example) is scary and threatening and they
>worry about backwards compatibility, about browser support for
>new technologies, and about bureaucratic restrictions.  The vast
>majority of web designers are coding in HTML (or think they are
>writing HTML at least) -- if we say "thou shalt only use XHTML to
>be accessible" then we will have lost them.
>
>(I've seen this before -- early versions of WCAG 1.0 had a -very-
>strong emphasis on CSS, which was, at the time, very untested, not
>reliable, without good browser support, and generally unknown to
>web designers.  The WCAG 1.0 draft made it seem like 'in order to
>create accessible web pages, even single-A, you _must_ learn CSS'
>and if someone didn't know CSS, that was as far as they read.  We
>have to remember that many people who use HTML [sic] will look at
>a list as above, and not seeing anything they recognize, decide
>'accessibility is not for me, I have to learn XML in order to do
>it!')
>
>--Kynn
>
>--
>Kynn Bartlett  <kynn@idyllmtn.com>                    http://kynn.com/