Re: Updating 2.4, re-revised

I have a slightly different approach I think, or maybe I just think about it
in different words.

To make the thing accessible to various groups of people you need to have the
option to stop the timeout. There are some cases where this is genuinely not
feasible, and those things are not going to be accessible to such people. In
a context such as the Disability Discrimination Act in Australia, any
complaint is likely to result in a finding that the site cannot be made
accessible for some external reason, and therefore is eligible for an
exemption (like undue burden provisions in other situations). That doesn't
mean they are accessible, it means that they are not, and cannot be, and it
is not their fault.

This, by the way, is the basis for having a more granular conformance profile
as well as the nice simple scale of A, double-A, triple-A. Such a site may
pose no problems to certain groups of people, and it would be useful to have
a mechanism for stating that explicitly. EARL provides just such a mechanism.
But for the most part, it is better to aim for accessibility to all, at some
level, and the current scheme provides a reasonably simple approach to
dealing with that.

cheers

Charles