Re: Revising 2.4 to deal with timeout barriers

At 05:01 PM 5/23/01 -0700, Matt May wrote:
>making alternatives to text. The board game Pictionary is _based_ on our
>limited capacity to turn words into images. Here are simple words and
>phrases that take a second to read aloud, but often can't be communicated
>after a minute of drawing (and, in many cases, covert pantomime). If people
>were as capable as has been suggested of producing alternate illustration,
>wouldn't this game be so simple as to be boring?

Matt, it is boring to some people ... probably lots of people ...

>I suggest that if Bruce's theory can't be disproven, there's nothing over
>and above the current guidelines that can be done to ensure a net positive
>effect on the web. I'll ask again: what is not in the guidelines that needs
>to be there?

A phrase here, a phrase there, including illustrations in the content that
is needed by disabled folks ... and lots of regular folks ... I've already
given suggestions on guideline changes and will continue to do so ... the
guidelines need to contain explicit directions to provide an alternative to
text (is an auditory instead of graphical alternative acceptable? when is
multi-media inappropriate? for example...)

					Anne

Anne Pemberton
apembert@erols.com

http://www.erols.com/stevepem