RE: Graphic Designers work - potential for WCAG?

Bruce,

	Will get some help from hubby to find the four links you want and will
send it privately ... there are many more than four, but you and I may
dicker over quality ...

	A few replies inline (ommission of material not commented upon)

At 10:54 AM 5/23/01 -0400, Bailey, Bruce wrote:
><http://users.erols.com/stevepem/guidelines/G3/pageset.gif>  As I thought
>about what was needed to illustrate Guideline 3, I
>hit on the idea of showing the pages with sections marked, which I could do
>with what I had available.
><http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-gl/2001AprJun/0371.html>""
>>The tools used for creating icons are the same as those used for other
>>graphics.

Bruce, what I meant is that my hand movements on a mouse are too jerky to
produce drawings. This is NOT a common condition, as I see the children who
have had a mouse-in-hand a short time, can make drawings that are more
accurate than their pencil drawings.... I cannot ... I have to work with
given shapes ...  If I need to do more drawings as I develop instructional
web applications, I may have to invest in a graphical tablet or some such
... but I'm planning on Adobe Illustrator being able to bridge some of my
"disabilty" in being unable to put my mind's eye on a screen ....

>>Consider, for example:  <http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG10-TECHS/#def-ascii-art>

Good example of ascii art at it's worst!

>><http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG10-TECHS/#def-braille>

Not a good example of illustration. The text says that braille is raised
dots, not black squares.

>><http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG10-HTML-TECHS/#travel-report-longdesc>

yes, a good illustration.

>>How many of
>>us routinely create drawings as part of our jobs?

Actually I do and need to do more than I did as a high school teacher since
I teach in an elementary school. Mothers are another group of people who
tend to use a lot of drawings in their everyday life. Folks who work in
small businesses tend to make more drawings than those in non artsy fields
in corporations ... People everywhere draw maps, to put in invitations and
such! Ever try remodeling without making a sketch in advance? Woodworkers
routinely use "patterns" which must be re-drawn to scale before cutting -
in fact much craft work depends on the ability to draw.

>done.  Bruce, the guidelines are very good at explaining how to make
>alternatives
>  but not very good at explaining how
>to make alternatives for text. Filling in that gap is another step in
>meeting the goal of the charter ...

>>NO ONE knows how to systematically
>>explain how to make alternatives for text!

Mothers do .....

				Anne
Anne Pemberton
apembert@erols.com