Re: words

William,

	I agree with much of what they say, but wonder how many "retarded" people
will recognize the term "cognitively disabled" as describing themselves.
Mostly, they describe themselves as "not smart", "slow" and sometimes
"special ed" depending on their age. It's a decision whether to apply the
terms people use to describe themselves, or what they are called by others.
And these folks may describe themselves in different words in different
parts of the country/world ... !

					Anne

At 03:15 PM 5/21/01 -0700, William Loughborough wrote:
>Much of the time the idea of using care in choice of words in our
>activities is sort of ridiculed as "politically correct". Since we are
>contemplating including details about particular human conditions, I
>thought it might be good to read a reasoned explanation about the
>importance of our term selection as we undertake this. Take a peek at:
>
>http://www.disabilityisnatural.com/peoplefirstlanguage.htm
>

>--
>Love.
>                 ACCESSIBILITY IS RIGHT - NOT PRIVILEGE