Re: Including content modes in 4.1

Adam,

	I have one small addition to suggest... In the line:

>	* permit equivalents to be associated with or synchronized
>	  with auditory, graphical, and multimedia content;

should say:

     * permit equivalents to be associated with or synchronized with
auditory, graphics, multi-media and text content;

	Text needs an equivalent as much as other content does.

				Anne

At 05:59 PM 5/18/01 -0700, Adam Victor Reed wrote:
>I suggested the addition of content modes to Gudeline 4.1 as a
>possible way of dealing with the vowel mark problem in Hebrew and
>Arabic, which was brought to our attention by Lisa Seeman (vowel marks
>are required to support screen reading in user agents, and for
>accessibility to people with limited reading ability.) If there
>is no objection, I would like to see Gudeline 4.1 updated as follows:
>
>4.1 Choose content modes, languages, API's, and protocols that support
>the use of these guidelines.
>	Content modes (e.g. Hebrew with and without vowel marks,)
>	markup languages, multimedia formats, software interface
>	standards, etc., vary in their support of accessibility. When
>	choosing which technologies and content modes to use, consider
>	how easy it is apply these guidelines. Where feasible, favor
>	content modes and technologies that:
>	* support assistive technology in user agents;
>	* permit equivalents to be associated with or synchronized
>	  with auditory, graphical, and multimedia content;
>	* allow the logical structure of the content to be defined
>	  independently of presentation;
>	* support device-independence;
>	* are documented in published specifications and can be
>	  implemented by user agent and assistive technology
>	  developers.
>--
>				Adam Reed
>				areed2@calstatela.edu
>
>Context matters. Seldom does *anything* have only one cause.

Anne Pemberton
apembert@erols.com

http://www.erols.com/stevepem
http://www.geocities.com/apembert45