RE: PDF Techniques Help Please

I'm starting with section 7 in your doc
[http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/2000/12/pdf.html], and using your numbering and
ordering.  I'm trying to map them to WCAG 2.0 guidelines using this draft
[http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/WCAG20/WD-WCAG20-20010328.html].

7.  "Foreground and Background colors"  (and all it's sub-items).  There
doesn't seem to be a guideline in WCAG 2.0 checkpoint about color contrast,
perhaps we should add one?  It seems to be at the checkpoint level, maybe
under Guideline 1, and not technology specific.  Is there an HTML technique
on this?  A lot of the same issues arise in HTML.

1. Generate text that is accessible
1.1 "Render characters and words in reading order" seems to map to
guidelines 1.4 (Use markup or a data model to provide logical structure to
content) and/or 1.5 (Separate content and structure from presentation).
Word order is part of content, word placement is part of presentation.

1.2" Separate words explicitly with spacing characters" maps to 1.5
(separate content and presentation).  The space character is part of
content, in the depreciated examples it is being replaced by placement,
which is part of presentation.

1.3 "Use soft hyphens and hard hyphens appropriately" is related to device
independence (screen and window size are part of the device).  We only deal
with device independence in 2.5, which is about event handlers.  Perhaps we
need a checkpoint about device independent rendering (could go under
guideline 1)

1.5 "Ensure that all character codes map reliably to Unicode".   Maybe 4.1
and 4.2, though this is kind of a stretch.  Do we need a checkpoint about
international character sets?  Is this relevant to other technologies as
well?  WCAG 1.0 had a checkpoint about natural language demarcation, and 2.0
doesn't. Does anyone remember the rationale for removing it?

3 Provide Structural Grouping
3.1 "provide logical structure" is pretty clearly 1.4 (use markup or a data
model to provide logical structure of content)

3.2 "tag artifacts in the page contents".  hmmm... this seems to be about
marking stuff that is specifically for one presentation as such, so that
other presentations know to ignore it.  That's an interesting idea.  HTML
doesn't really have a facility for that sort of thing, and we don't have a
checkpoint about it.  I can think of ways to something similar in xml or a
database/script solution.

6.
6.1 "use bookmarks to provide navigation aids into a document". doesn't map
to a specific checkpoint.  could go under guideline 2 (interaction according
to user needs) or under guideline 3 (make it easy to use and understand)

6.2 "use links within a document".  same as 6.1

6.3 "if the value of the link does not describe the target clearly and
accurately, provide alt attributes.  goes under 1.1 (provide text
equivalents)

5. "provide expansions for acronyms and abbreviations" is pretty clearly 3.6
(define key terms, abbreviations,...)

8 "Set document protections to permit access".  This looks like a normative,
technology-specific requirement (something you must do when using PDF, but
which is totally irrelevant in other technologies).  We still need to figure
out how to handle these....