Re: alt for icons

Let's look a little deeper at what Anne said.  For reference, I use Lynx a
lot.

Text which has an image alternative should not necessarily blend seamlessly
into the context of flowing text.  The image is an encapsulation, something
which is more distinctly set off from its context than are three words
appearing somewhere in the middle of the sentence.

To retain the rhetorical structure in the composite equivalent page with the
ALT text displayed and not the image, should there be something in the text
presentation -- whether style or punctuation -- which retains this
encapsulation, which distinguishes the ALT text as presented from surrounding
text?  This is a property of the pattern of alternative availability and
transformation, and hence is better allocated to be "inserted by the User
Agent" as opposed to "inserted by the Author."

[I am here glossing over the great difficulty of making _small_ changes in
_any_ UI.  I am not sanguine about getting Lynx to adopt this change, even if
we were to consense it was the best plan.  Can always try.]

This does not make the bad examples that Alan cites good.  But good
examples of
alt text would still be good if they were [good].  If the conscientious author
knows that their ALT text will be styled [alt text] in monospaced,
not-otherwise-styled text contexts, they won't be hindered from writing an
effective functional replacement targeted to _that_ form.

The seeming exception being that you don't wrap a null string in [] just to
show that there was an invisible spacer there.  That truly vanishes.  I guess
the best way to explain this is that the [...] wrapping _is a style_ to set
_something_ off, and if you have _nothing_ you don't need to interrupt the
reader to set _nothing_ off, replacing nothing with something.

Al

<http://lynx.browser.org/>http://lynx.browser.org and