Re: Content negotiation

On Tue, Apr 24, 2001 at 06:32:38AM -0700, Kynn Bartlett wrote:
> At 4:05 PM -0700 4/23/01, Adam Victor Reed wrote:
> >I believe the concern, that sites attempting to accomodate one
> >disability might gratuitously disable users with other disabilities,
> >is valid in BOTH directions. Perhaps instead of squabbling, we might
> >explore solutions. This could be an appropriate application for
> >content-negotiation technology, which is already being used to secure
> >appropriate content for different media, languages, character-sets etc.
> >This would require the client-browser to send an HTTP header such as
> >Accomodate: cd2
>
> I believe this is my cue to pop up and say:
>
>       "Two words:  CC/PP."
>
> Okay, wait, that's not really two words.
>
> But this is another example of why the WAI community needs to rally
> around Composite Capabilities/Preferences Profiles and work to push
> that technology forward.
>
> Current content-negotiation alone is -not- sufficient, and CC/PP is
> a great solution -- but it needs to be "finished up" on the spec
> level and it needs to be implemented in browsers and servers and
> server-side software.
>
> --Kynn
> --
> Kynn Bartlett <kynn@reef.com>
> Technical Developer Liaison
> Reef North America
> Tel +1 949-567-7006
> BUSINESS IS DYNAMIC. TAKE CONTROL.
> http://www.reef.com

Content negotiation is a stable, proven technology. It would take
less than one week of work to adapt it for accomodation of varied
disabilities, using existing open-source software bases such as
apache and lynx.

I did try to find out about "Two words:  CC/PP." I tried to access
http://www.reef.com with two different browsers (lynx, and then
Netscape 4.7 with animations, such as gif and js, turned off to
accomodate my attention deficit.) Both displayed completely blank
pages.  It looks like http://www.reef.com is js only, without any
content - not even a <noscript> tag.  I would be grateful for the
URL of an accessible page explaining those "Two words:  CC/PP."
--
				Adam Reed
				areed2@calstatela.edu

Context matters. Seldom does *anything* have only one cause.