Re: RFD: Checkpoint 1.? Enable optional suppression of disabling content

On Thu, Apr 19, 2001 at 01:13:12PM -0700, Adam Victor Reed wrote:
> I would like to request discussion of a potential additional
> checkpoint under Guideline 1 (Presentation: Design content that
> allows presentation according to the user's needs and preferences.)
>
> 1.? Enable optional suppression of disabling content.
>
> (I prefer to wait on input for details. I am suggesting this
> checkpoint because some content is disabling for some users,
> e.g. flashing in an animation may trigger epileptic seizures,
> irrelevant or repetitious material will distract a person with
> attention disorder, etc.)

I would consider this "author repair" (as you do, perhaps).
Guideline 3 of the UAAG 1.0 [1] states exactly what you
want: "Allow configuration not to render some content that may reduce
accessibility."

There may be some cases where the user agent can't recognize
that the content is blinking, etc., in which case the author
should either (a) mark up the content in a way that allows
the conforming user agent to provide the required control
or (b) provide alternative content or repair as you suggest.

 - Ian

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/WD-UAAG10-20010409/

Tel:                         +1 831 457-2842
Cell:                        +1 917 450-8783