Re: Tv, radio, newspapers, books and the need for a visual style.

Jonathon,

	I was told today that it is socially unacceptable for me to be online at
6:30 in the morning, but it would have been very acceptable for me to have
had the tv on at that time instead!

	OK, the story. It was a foggy morning. Must have been really bad in some
parts of the county, because the district decided to delay opening the
schools an hour. My school has a telephone relay to get the word out to
everyone. The woman who is supposed to call me complained because I was
online when she tried. "What could possibly be so important online that you
have to be there at 6:30 in the morning?" she demanded ... Why couldn't I
be like her and only check e-mail once a week on Friday nights? ... If
something is going on in e-mail, I stay online until time to leave ... I
had to explain this to the principal who was concerned that I'd braved the
fog un-necessarily. I do have a weather alert on my machine, but it just
said fog, and that usually doesn't mean schools delay, so I didn't check
for school closings (sigh!) which is three clicks away from my weather
program ...

	I came close to suggesting that the woman assigned to call me send me an
e-mail instead, but she was so indignant that I was online at a time she
wouldn't be, that I just let her rant, and grinned.

	So, yes, tv is the medium that the web is "replacing" as a source of
information and entertainment in a household, but tv is still hogging most
of the stage ...

				Anne

At 06:43 PM 4/12/01 +0100, Jonathan Chetwynd wrote:
>Ok its true that most media include the media they replace(I've forgotten
>who said that, but there will be a reference somewhere), however I believe
>that tv is generally recognised to be the one most people spend most of
>their leisure time in front of.
>
>jonathan chetwynd
>IT teacher (LD)
>j.chetwynd@btinternet.com