Re: A proposal for changing the guidelines

Scott Luebking wrote:

> Hi, Charles
>
> Maybe I'm missing something.  The web offers people much information and
> various web pages are architected to help people make all kinds of
> decisions.  The impression that you're giving is that there is
> absolutely no way that a web page can help a person easily decide on the
> optimum format for them.

I don't read that in Charles' comments. In fact, from what I understand
of Charles' statements in the past, the goal is precisely to design
Web pages that allow people to choose a format that's best for them,
by 'transforming gracefully'.

However, some information encoded in today's technologies transforms
less gracefully than others, so we provide alternative formats to
convey it to different audiences.

 - Ian

>   We got some pretty smart grad students here at
> Berkeley.  I'm sure one of them could come up with some clever ideas if
> need be.
>
> > A couple of extra points.
> >
> > The text-only version is not, in general, an accessible version - it is
> > another of the 9 variants that might be useful for some purposes. Which is
> > why WCAG says "an accessible alternative version", not a "text-only version".
> >
> > Having ten versions introduces a potential level of complexity to navigating
> > a site (as a user) that could in itself provide a barrier to use.
> >
> > Charles McCN

Tel:                         +1 831 429-8586
Cell:                        +1 917 450-8783