Re: A proposal for changing the guidelines

Jon Gunderson wrote:

> I think one issue that is critical for the web content group to address in
> the next version and has dependencies with other WAI working groups is
> developing standard markup techniques that can be used to generate
> navigational cues to the content of  a web page.  There are alot of
> internal links in the current web content techniques document to the
> navigation section of the document[1], but there are no concrete examples
> (at least that I saw in that section) of how to include navigation
> information in an HTML document.  I think there needs to be some consensus
> of the technique (or techniques) to mark navigation bars and other logical
> units commonly found on www pages.  I think some of the templates published
> by charles [2] for the authoring tools working group is attempting to do
> this, but I there needs to be guidiance in the web content documents so
> that authors are all using the same markup techniques.

Has the WAI PF done a review of XLink and the possibilities it
offers for identifying navigation mechanisms? The 21 Feb draft [1]
is in last call until 20 March 2000. In particular, section 3.5 on
semantic attributes [2]. I am woefully uninformed on what features
of XLink might help UAs identify navigation bars, etc.

 - Ian.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/WD-xlink-20000221
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/xlink/#link-semantics
Tel:                         +1 831 429-8586
Cell:                        +1 917 450-8783