Re: text equivalents for multimedia

I think it is certainly a reasonable way to provide accessibility. I used
this approach at http://www.w3.org/WAI/AU/tech-scratch/tables (which is just
some stuff about how to get the user to give a caption for a table).

Cheers

Charles

On Wed, 23 Feb 2000, Wendy A Chisholm wrote:

  Geoff,

  If people agree that this is an o.k. thing to do, then we would include it
  in the techniques document.  The current phrase that I pointed out would
  probably be reworded to something like:
  Equivalents for sounds can be provided on the same page as the sound or in
  a separate file.  If in a separate file, provide a short text equivalent
  (like an "alt-text") in the text of the link to the text transcript or
  description of the sound file. The link to the transcript should appear in
  a highly visible location such as at the top of the page. However, if a
  script is automatically loading a sound, it should also be able to
  automatically load a visual indication that the sound is currently being
  played and provide a description or transcript of the sound.

  thoughts?
  --wendy