Re: New York Times web site

aloha, scott!

extending my complimentary comments on a text-only version of a site that
is comprehensively updated every 24 hours to a text-only version of a more
static site mis-characterizes my comments...

my response represents a gut-level reaction that is (a) common amongst
blind users because they have no better alternatives; (b) is an example of
a well-thought-out alternative to the full-blown graphical version of the
site; (c) a solution which not only pre-dates WCAG; but which was not
intended to be a quote accessibility-oriented unquote implementation; and
(d) is specific to a particular site which is conscientiously updated to be
in sync with the full-blown graphical version of the site...

furthermore, whilst i am philosophically opposed to the maintenance of
parallel text-only sites, the new york times' text-only slash low bandwidth
site does not strike me as an incidence of cyber-ghettoization, as it is
not a static parallel, but is as dynamically updated as the high-bandwidth
version of the site...  and, i'd hardly be surprised if the content
contained in both versions comes from one central source and is then dumped
into the appropriate template...

the text-only slash low-bandwidth version of the new york times site is
simply an example of providing a much needed service -- making the content
of the site available to the broadest range of users possible...  the
text-only version wasn't created with accessibility in mind, but with
convenience, general usability, and (most importantly from the service
providers' point of view) maximum market penetration in mind -- you may
recall that the online version of the new york times was not originally
intended to be free forever, but was originally intended as a pilot program
to ascertain demand for an online version of the newspaper, which the times
originally envisioned as a fee-for-service site, out of fear of undermining
sales of the print edition, but which proved so popular that no-fee access
to the content of the newspaper continues today...  in summation, it is an
example of something that works for a lot of disabled users by
happenstance, and not design, which bolsters the argument that
accessibility issues aren't quote special case unquote  issues, but general
usability issues...

gregory