Re: agenda for tomorrow's WCAG meeting

aloha, jon!

when i tried to load:
http://cgi.w3.org/ETA/issuesList.php3/wai/wcag/

i was, after attempting to log in thrice, automatically redirected to
http://cgi.w3.org/ETA/contacts.php3/wai/wcag/?editing=1&nextAction=add

according to which, one needs to be designated a contact in order to access
ETA, although it is not clear whether or not one can add oneself...

the page located at
http://cgi.w3.org/ETA/help.html

defines a contact as

quote
A contact is a person or a group having that ETA knows about. Contacts can
create issues and they can also help resolving issues if they have the skills
needed. The issue 'creator' and 'owner' are two default relationships between
contacts and issues - other relationships can be registered as any other
relationship as the identifier of a contact is a URI (often an email address so
that we can handle email based notifications
unquote

from which it initially seemed to me that those who would be allowed access to
ETA would need to be designated as unskilled contacts by W3C staff...  however,
since the word "skills" is a hyperlink, i followed it to the following
definition:

quote
Skills (or interests)
Contacts (either a single person or a group) can have certain skills that make
them capable of resolving issues or simply because they are interested in
certain issues, or specific categories or priorities in a forum. Skills are
associated with a forum (and therefore implicitly a schema) - that is, a
contact can have different skills for different fora.

The skills are used as the filter for figuring out when contacts should be
notified about changes in the database. Contacts can "listen" to all issues in
a forum of any particular category, priority, etc. but can also listen to a
single issue (for example the one they have created).
unquote

so, figuring that i fell into the passive observer contact category, i went
ahead and filled out the "Adding New Contact" form, using the userid and
password that allows me access to member confidential web space courtesy of my
PF affiliation, but instead of getting into the /wai/wcag forum, i was taken to
a page entitled "Inspecting Contact Gregory J. Rosmaita", which summarized my
Forum" button or link...

i was all set to be really, really frustrated, when i tried reloading
http://cgi.w3.org/ETA/issuesList.php3/wai/wcag/
after a 10 minute wait, and what to my wondering ears should ahear, but the ETA
/wai/wcag Forum!

gregory

At 04:57 PM 1/12/00 -0600, you wrote:
>>I would also like to talk about using ETA to track open issues.  There are
>>still some bugs with it, but the best way to find them is to use it <grin>.
>>
>>Ian and I set up a forum for WCAG at
>>http://cgi.w3.org/ETA/issuesList.php3/wai/wcag/
>>

>1) I tried to access it and it asked me for a user name and password.
>I tried my W3C user name and password but they did not work.
>
>2) If you need a user name and password for the system will it not be a
>public list as in the past?
>Jon Gunderson, Ph.D., ATP
>Coordinator of Assistive Communication and Information Technology
>Chair, W3C WAI User Agent Working Group
>Division of Rehabilitation - Education Services
>College of Applied Life Studies
>University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign
>1207 S. Oak Street, Champaign, IL  61820
>
>Voice: (217) 244-5870
>Fax: (217) 333-0248
>
>E-mail: jongund@uiuc.edu
>
>WWW: http://www.staff.uiuc.edu/~jongund
>WWW: http://www.w3.org/wai/ua

He that lives on Hope, dies farting
     -- Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack, 1763
Gregory J. Rosmaita <unagi69@concentric.net>
   WebMaster and Minister of Propaganda, VICUG NYC
        <http://www.hicom.net/~oedipus/vicug/index.html>