Re: ALTCOGPRES

At 02:02 PM 4/30/00 -0500, Gregg Vanderheiden wrote:
>Marti's comment got me thinking about drawing parallels to other
>disabilities and what we do there.
>
>Adding visual descriptions of pictures is adding something to a page that
>was not there.  Could something equivalent be done for cognitive access?
>Two things that are true for LONGDESCs  (and ALT) are
>1)	it doesn't affect the appearance of the page for mass users
>2)	it is fairly easy to describe how to do it (though quality will obviously
>vary)
>3)	it takes 1% to 5% of the effort (or less) to put the page/site together
>to do it.
>

>so putting these together let me coin a term  ALTCOGPRES  (Alternative
>Cognitive Presentation)
>is there a way we can come up with a  *straightforward*,  *easy to describe*
>and *easy to do* technique for presenting information on a page in an
>alternate form that
>1)	doesn't affect the appearance of the page for mass users
>2)	is fairly easy to describe how to do it
>3)	takes 1% to 5% of the effort (or less) to put the page/site together to
>do it.

Some more brainstorming:

SMIL already has an abstract attribute for some elements. Maybe that could
be one way of adding information of major components of content as well as
the whole page. Short simple text could help also users with small screen
devices.

If I have interpreted the demands right, the TTS should work with these
alternative attributes (If they don't has anyone told the TTS developers
that?) or there should be also an audio version of them. Then similar info
should be also presented with images. Or maybe the abstract should always
contain a clarifying image?

Then it would be nice also to have a simple explanation of the navigational
structure of the site that could be attached to each page. This could help
many other users too.

Marja