RE: Images of text -- P1 violation or no?

Yes; quick.  And dirty; i.e. erroneous.

The 'impossible' sentence is the definition.  The "basic requirement'
sentence is commentary.  "Basic requirement" is too open to variation in
interpretation between author and reader.

For the class you describe, body text in GIF with full-text ALT is a P2,
not P1, per the definitions [based on some assumptions about the readily
available AT].

Yes, people should not do that.  All of the guidelines through P3 are
things people should do.  Your personal standards tell you that to
reasonably attempt to serve this population, one should ensure that the
body text is text, not image.  But that doesn't migrate this proposition to
a P1.  It just says you recognize the importance of this P2 proposition.

If the built-in magnifier in the OS will display the ALT text in a size
they can read, then their computer skills are the de_facto pacing obstacle
and not the GIF and it is not a P1.

I'm sorry.  You need to tell people in your organization that "Just because
it may be unreasonable to expect _all pages_ to satisfy _all guidelines_ in
any class beyond P1, this does not mean that there aren't Pn guidelines
beyond P1 which shouldn't be followed as the basic marching orders for your
site."

Al

PS: I'm copying GL and not IG because this is the sort of ruling that
should be reviewed and consensed in GL before someone [either a staff
person or a chair] says things on IG which by reason of their other duties
might be interpreted as gospel.