Re: conflict between alternate EO telecon and regular GL telecon

WAI EOWG:

Any comments on Gregory's comment here?

A few thoughts: This proposed alternate EOWG meeting time is by no means
mandatory -- it is an auxiliary meeting slot, so if individuals also active
in the WCAG WG choose that meeting over the EOWG meeting, that is fine;
what seems problematic is that the 4:00 p.m. US Eastern is now too early to
be a useful time for anyone who might be interested in this group from
Japan or Australia/Eastern Time. And I've got a conflict if we move it
later on Thursday.

Comments welcome.

Judy

At 06:30 PM 4/5/00 -0400, Gregory J. Rosmaita wrote:
>aloha, judy!
>
>on the list of upcoming meetings contained on the EO home page
><http://www.w3.org/WAI/EO/#Meetings>
>there is a meeting scheduled for 4pm on Thursday, April 13, which conflicts
>with the regularly scheduled Web Contents Guidelines (GL) working group's
>teleconference (Thursdays at 4pm, Boston time -- check
><http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/#UpcomingMeetings> for further details)
>
>this, i fear, will prove problematic, as the alternate Thursday telecons
>for the EO WG were expressly set up for the benefit of those who can't
>participate in the regularly scheduled EO meetings due to the hour --
>8:30am Boston time -- at which they are held...  in particular, it was
>deemed an appropriate time to facillitate participation in the EO WG for
>individuals living on slash in the Pacific Rim...
>
>the problem with the conflict, therefore, is that the GL working group is
>what one might call deeply Aussie-fied -- as it is co-chaired by an
>Australian, and has several other key Australian members (namely Charles
>and Tim) who participate regularly in the GL call...
>
>one last point -- given that the U.S. and Europe have turned their clocks
>forward, whilst others have turned theirs back, 4pm boston time is now
>awfully early for people living in the pacific rim -- according to my
>calculations, it translates into 8am in New Zealand (Auckland time), 6am in
>Australia (Melbourne time), and 5am in Japan (Tokyo time), which defeats
>the purpose of having an alternate meeting time...  would it, therefore, be
>possible to reschedule the alternate EO meeting at a later time -- perhaps
>8pm Boston time?
>
>is this as big a problem as i anticipate it might prove to be?  i know that
>i would prefer to participate in a Thursday meeting myself, as i have a
>recurring conflict with the Friday meeting time...  if. however, i have to
>choose between GL and EO, i will opt for the former...  i'd rather not be
>faced with an either-or choice, but if -- for logistical reasons -- the
>alternate call is locked into a 4pm Boston time slot, then i will only be
>able to participate in EO via the list...
>
>gregory
>He that lives on Hope, dies farting
>      -- Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack, 1763
>Gregory J. Rosmaita <unagi69@concentric.net>
>    WebMaster and Minister of Propaganda, VICUG NYC
>         <http://www.hicom.net/~oedipus/vicug/index.html>

World Wide Web Consortium (W3C)