Re: A symbolic WAI homepage

At 04:01 PM 4/8/00 -0400, Marja-Riitta Koivunen wrote:
>>MRK::
>>

>>>What I would add to the site, is to have a graphical navigation bar to
>>>illustrate the site structure instead of textually saying to continue to
>>>the next page and other textual links. That navigation bar should give
>>>feedback about where the users are (what they selected) and where they can
>>>go (other items in the navigation bar).
>>>

>>AG::
>>
>>Links covering a neighborhood of where you are now is a navigation resource.
>>
>I agree. I definetely didn't mean to leave textual links out, but rather to
>add spatial layout and images that structure the page and help to find the
>navigation links more easily.
>
>>Indented table of contents bar is best current presentation of this on Web
>>today.

Sorry, now I see that this was actually meant to be a TOC with Yahoo style
hierarchy. I didn't read the headings so carefully (as is actually quite
common with many users) and after several selections ended up to
http://www.peepo.com/access/examples/alt.html with no info at all of where
I was.

What is confusing to me is that the headings are currently not consistently
keeping the navigation bar information on top (e.g.
http://www.peepo.com/access/alt_tags.html or
http://www.peepo.com/access/examples/alt.html) or using the exact words in
the user selected link on the bar  (e.g. http://www.peepo.com/access/ ->
http://www.peepo.com/access/contents.html, or
http://www.peepo.com/access/contents.html ->
http://www.peepo.com/access/design.html).

Has someone tested these kinds of step by step TOCs with CD users? Are they
better than other alternatives?

Marja